Posts for: August, 2016
How your gastroenterologist in Clearwater can help you fight colon cancer
Colon cancer is a common disease, and can be deadly. In fact, colon cancer is the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States. About 150,000 new cases of colorectal cancer will be diagnosed in the United States, and of those diagnosed, 50,000 people will die from it. Your gastroenterologists at Advanced Digestive Care in Clearwater, FL want to help you fight the insidious disease of colon cancer.
Your GI specialists want you to look for and be able to recognize common signs and symptoms of colon cancer, including:
- Unexplained weight loss
- Chronic fatigue and weakness
- Pain and cramping in your abdomen
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Dark stools or a change in stool consistency
- Rectal bleeding
There are some lifestyle and genetic factors which can put you at a higher risk for developing colon cancer, such as:
- Eatting a low fiber, high fat diet
- Having a sedentary lifestyle or carry excess weight
- Using tobacco or consuming excess alcohol
- Having a family history of colon cancer
Colon cancer often starts as a precancerous growth in the lining of your colon, also called a polyp. If your GI specialists in Clearwater find a polyp, it can be removed easily before it becomes more serious or cancerous. That’s why early screening and diagnosis of colon cancer is so important. Regular colon cancer screenings can reduce your risk of colon cancer by as much as 90 percent!
If you are over 50 years old, you should have a colon cancer screening. Your GI specialists at Advanced Digestive Care offer a complete series of colon cancer screening procedures, including:
- A sigmoidoscopy, used to examine your lower colon and rectal lining
- A colonoscopy, used to examine your entire colon and rectal lining
- CT colonography, which uses CT technology to take scans of your bowel
- Stool tests, used to check for blood and abnormal DNA in your stool
- Stool tests and sigmoidoscopy, used in combination which may be more effective than each test performed separately
Why take a chance on developing colon cancer? When you schedule a colon cancer screening as part of your overall health maintenance, you are taking care of a very important step in your continuing health. If you are aged 50 years or older, it’s time to call your gastroenterologists at Advanced Digestive Care in Clearwater, FL. Call today and take care of yourself!