Posts for: July, 2018
Find out what is causing your stomach pain so you can get back to your life.
There is nothing worse than having a wonderful day ruined by an upset stomach. Of course, if this is something that’s happening rather frequently you may be a bit concerned. Our Clearwater, FL, gastroenterologists, Dr. Umesh Choudhry and Dr. Gourisankar Degala, are here to tell you what might be happening and when you should visit a doctor about your stomach pain.
The most common causes of stomach/abdominal pain include:
- Food allergies/sensitivities (the most common food allergies include nuts, shellfish, dairy, soy, wheat, and eggs)
- Irritable bowel disease (this includes Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis)
- Food poisoning
- Gastroenteritis (often referred to as the “stomach flu”, even though it is not to be confused with the influenza virus)
Other less common causes of stomach pain include:
- Kidney stones
- Endometriosis (causes lower abdominal pain)
- Appendicitis (causes lower right abdominal pain; requires immediate medical attention)
- A hernia
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
When to See a Doctor
You will want to head to your local ER if your abdominal pain is severe or doesn’t go away, or if your stomach pain is also accompanied by chest pain. You should also seek immediate medical attention if your stomach discomfort is accompanied by blood in your vomit, persistent vomiting, yellow skin, swollen stomach, or if you are pregnant.
You will want to call our Clearwater GI doctor as soon as possible if you have abdominal pain and you also:
- Have a fever
- Haven’t kept food down in two days
- Are dehydrated
- Can’t defecate
- Have pain with urination
- Have tenderness in the abdominal area
When you come in for an evaluation we will need to ask you a series of questions regarding your symptoms. This is one way to help us determine the best diagnostic tests to perform based on what we believe is going on. It’s important to rule out other causes since there are many conditions, injuries, and other factors that can cause stomach pain. The sooner we are able to determine the root cause the better.
Medications, lifestyle modifications and sometimes certain medical procedures or surgeries will be required to handle your symptoms depending on what's going on. We will walk you through your detailed treatment plan once we have diagnosed the cause of your stomach pain so you understand what you need to do to get rid of your discomfort.
Don’t let stomach pain dictate your life. We know you have better things to worry about, so let the gastrointestinal specialists at Advanced Digestive Care in Clearwater, FL, help you figure out what’s going on so that you can get the relief you finally deserve.