Do you have stomach pain that is so persistent it worries you? Is it accompanied by other symptoms that are unfamiliar? Stomach pain can be difficult to pinpoint and label, but your gastroenterologists, Dr. Umesh Choudhry and Dr. Gourisankar Degala of Advanced Digestive Care in Clearwater, FL offer precise diagnostic tests and treatments that help patients feel better and stay on the road to GI health.
The mystery of stomach pain
When your stomach hurts, is it really your stomach that's the problem, or is something else? Sometimes pain in the abdominal area has nothing to do with the stomach at all. You could be exhibiting symptoms of acute gastritis, an inflammation of the lining of the stomach, from a simple gastrointestinal virus or even an ulcer. However, stomach pain also could be:
- Appendicitis, a painful infection and swelling of the appendix
- GERD, gastroesophageal reflux disease (heartburn) in which stomach acids back up into the esophagus, or food pipe
- Stones in the gall bladder or kidney
- Lactose intolerance, a deficiency in an enzyme critical to digestion of dairy products
- Food allergies
- Simple gas leftover from digestion, resulting in burping or flatulence
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome, of IBS
- Crohn's Disease, an autoimmune inflammation of any part of the GI tract (according to the Crhohn's and Colitis Foundation)
Reasons for concern
The list goes on. How do you know what to do? The key to uncovering the reasons for stomach pain and receiving proper treatment lies in listening to your body and knowing when to call Advanced Digestive Care in Clearwater. Serious conditions may be accompanied by:
- Vomiting or diarrhea that does not resolve within 48 hours
- Abdominal tenderness and swelling
- A yellowish color to the skin (jaundice)
- Difficulty urinating or inability to urinate
- Blood in the stool
If you have these signs and symptoms, contact the office for an appointment. Dr. Choudhry or Dr. Degala will perform a complete physical examination, including your medical history and list of current medications. They may order lab work for blood and urine, X-rays or even state of the art endoscopy to visualize what's happening inside your body. Fortunately, the doctors and their friendly staff do everything possible to respond compassionate and quickly to urgent GI issues, and they carry out many of their innovative diagnostic tests at multiple locations for your convenience.
If you hurt, please contact Advanced Digestive Care in Clearwater, FL. Your stomach pain is no joke. Understand what is happening by calling (727) 462-0444.