Heartburn Treatment in Clearwater, FL
Occasional heartburn is common and no cause for alarm. However, more frequent heartburn that interferes with your daily routine may be a symptom of something more serious that requires help from your gastroenterologist.
Heartburn is the symptom of acid reflux and GERD. However, not everyone with acid reflux has heartburn, and not everyone with heartburn has acid reflux. It has been shown that one in 10 Americans suffer from heartburn symptoms at least once a week. With different triggers, heartburn can occur at any time. If you suffer from heartburn it is important to find effective remedies to prevent your acid reflux from worsening.
A symptom of acid reflux and GERD, heartburn can be caused by other unusual things such as intestinal motility problems. Cardiac problems can also mirror heartburn, making it important to not confuse the two. Many people have different acid reflux-related heartburn triggers, but most have similar symptoms.
Common Heartburn Symptoms:
- A burning feeling in the chest just behind the breastbone that occurs after eating and lasts a few minutes to several hours.
- Chest pain, especially after bending over, lying down, or eating.
- Burning in the throat, or a hot, sour, or acidic tasting fluid at the back of the throat.
- Difficulty swallowing
- Feeling of food “sticking” in the middle of the chest or throat
- Heartburn may cause chronic cough, sore throat, or chronic hoarseness
Seek immediate medical attention if you experience chest pain, especially when accompanied by other signs and symptoms, such as shortness of breath or jaw or arm pain. These may be signs and symptoms of a heart attack. If you take over-the-counter medications for heartburn more than twice per week, visit your gastroenterologist immediately.
For more information on heartburn treatment, call Advanced Digestive Care in Clearwater, FL at (727) 462-0444!